Thursday, June 20, 2013

Philadelphia Flyers: Behind The Scenes With Danny Briere


The Philadelphia Flyers' announcement that they were buying-out Danny Briere today caused me to think about one of the interviews I conducted with him a few years ago.
(The photo that is used in this post was taken by me in February, 2013.) 

This veteran forward was a terrific playoff performer for the Flyers during the six seasons that he was with the team after signing as a free agent in. The number six is fitting, since he ranks sixth all-time among the franchise playoff scoring leaders and also averaged more than a point-per-game during the six years he spent in orange and black. 

Briere was a terrific person to talk with in the locker room as well. He was genuine, respectful and glib, which is everything that a journalist needs. 

I use the term 'journalist' because the players know the difference between beat writers and freelancers. He treated all of us the same. 

The first time I interviewed him we stood eye-to-eye, one-on-one. I noticed that he probably weighed five-10 pounds less than I did and was obviously impressed that someone of his average (by societal standards) size had endured in a League full of increasingly larger opponents. 

How has Briere survived in the NHL since 1997? Talent, toughness and character.

Here is a link to an interview feature that I wrote about him in the fall of 2011:

Flyers’ Briere is ready for another solid season

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look forward to becoming friends on Facebook  
Let's connect on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter @SeanyOB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to click on a selection of my interviews with broadcasters, actors, models and more...
Martin Brodeur: Discusses His Record-Setting Shutout Total and Key Rivalries 
Jaromir Jagr: Current NHL Forward and Future Hall of Famer
Philadelphia Flyers' Bernie Parent: Postgame reflections 
Bobby Clarke: Philadelphia Flyers' Legend Talks Hockey
Ron Hextall Recalls His Greatest Season
Kerry Fraser: NHL Referee is Still Making the Right Calls

Amazon.com is the number 1 online publishing platform in the world. That's why I used it to publish my first ebook: 

I am humbled by the reception it has received to-date and I thank everyone who has been responding to this digital creation.

This mini-tome is a collection of stories and poems for readers who don't take themselves too seriously. I hope that you enjoy it and am always welcome to your feedback. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only takes a few minutes to read some of my other stories  whose links are shown below:

Horror Story: It Was Crawling Up My Chest!
Television Haiku Poem
My First Car Was An All-Time Classic
The Best Holiday Memories

When Baseball Cards Were King
Could One Baseball Shatter The Summer?
The Night Lenny Dykstra Was Swinging In The Rain
5 Traits of Hardcore Philadelphia Phillies' Fans

Philadelphia Flyers' Topps Hockey Card Mystery Revealed
5 Lessons Flyers' Fans Have Taught The Hockey World
5 Traits Old School Flyers' Fans Possess
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Rant Sports Author Pagemy Examiner Contributor Pageor my Yahoo Contributor Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Labels